非我族裔,戰前香港的外籍族群 (2D18)

Title: 非我族裔,戰前香港的外籍族群

Author: Dr. Joseph Ting, Dr. Lo Shuk Ying

Publisher: Joint Publishing HK

 

Good morning everyone. I am Hugh from 2D. Today I would like to share a book called “非我族裔,戰前香港的外籍族群”. It is written by Dr. Joseph Ting and Dr. Lo Shuk Ying.

When Hong Kong became a British colony, the Chinese people accounted for around 95% of the total population, while the remaining 5% were foreigners. I find it interesting to know the reason why they came to Hong Kong, their deeds here and their contributions to the place.

There were four main reasons that explained their arrival in Hong Kong. The first was coming to Hong Kong for business. Some started companies and stores, sold opium, etc. The second reason was coming to Hong Kong to find a high salary job so as to earn more. Many of them worked for the colonial government. The third type of people was the missionaries. They built schools and churches while they preached. During their stay, they helped protect the orphans and offered them a living place. The fourth type of people came to Hong Kong to run for their life and escape from war and instability in their own country.

At the beginning of the colonial period, among all foreigners, most of them were British. Many of them came to Hong Kong for business. One of the earliest companies set up by them was Gilman & Co. Its business covered the export and import of tea and textiles. Some of the British worked for the colonial government, as policemen, in the prison, etc.

I think the foreigners are very important for the development of Hong Kong. The missionaries built schools and churches. Some of these still exist today, such as St. Paul’s College, St. Stephen’s Girls’ College, etc. Besides that, the businessmen helped lay the foundation for economic development in Hong Kong. At the same time, the refugees provided more labour, solving the problem of labour shortage. All the foreigners contributed to the development of Hong Kong.

The book lets me know more about the story of the non-Chinese in Hong Kong. This is the end of my sharing. Thank you.