THE ART PACK (2B32)

Title: THE ART PACK

Author: Christopher Frayling, Helen Frayling, Ron Van der Meer

Publisher: Knopf

Good morning, everyone. I’m Yiu Wai Pong of class 2B. Today, I’d like to introduce a book called ‘’The Art Pack” to all of you. Painting requires skills and tools, practice and time, but the most important element is creativity. Everyone can draw, like me. However, if we want to become an artist, we need not only be creative, but we also need time to practise the skills well and the knowledge of using tools effectively. The book tells us different techniques and the art history in detail.

We may think coloring a picture is very simple. Actually it is hard to master. People usually do not consider colour as a key element of art. It has often been regarded as a decoration only— like the icing on a cake — rather than a basic element. However, while painting, you need to be cautious about the use of color. Colour is usually used to show contrast or similarity to demonstrate the value of an object. You cannot simply mix up the color and then think your painting is great.

Another element that is challenging to me in painting is ‘proportion’. Proportion refers to the measurement of size and shape. For example, the famous drawing ‘The Proportions of the human figure’ by Leonardo da Vinci is called ‘The Golden Section’ because its proportion is perfect. If we draw a human body, we need to learn about proportion, so the figure will not look so strange. I think if you draw a stickman, it will be very interesting and amazing.
Lastly, I believe learning the history of art is very important. This enables us to know the different skills, tools and characteristics of different artworks. For example, in the 20th century, there was a French bishop producing the church mural which unveiled the Gospel story. The halos were gilded, such as Jesus and other different gods. However in the late 20th century, American artists were contracted to important uptown dealers, who advanced their career. They had their solo exhibitions in a commercial gallery and grew in popularity. A lot of modern realistic drawing and painting was created at that time, such as Salvador Dalí, a famous modern artist of Surrealism and Cubism. Many of his works, such as ‘Swans Reflecting Elephants’, ‘ Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening’, etc. are well-known. These paintings create illusions and are inspirational. Most of them are about dreams. I think it is suitable for me because I always daydream at home.
If you want to be an artist, you need to practise the basic skills. This book provides you with a lot of tips on how to draw well. If you are interested in Art, this book is a must read. That’s all I want to share today. Thank you.